RE: RARA-AVIS: God is a Bullet: Another opinion

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 27 May 2003

Mark wrote:

I figured out very quickly that God Is A Bullet was a contemporary version of The Searchers if rewritten by James Crumley. Substituting for the Indians in John Ford's classic film is the Manson Family, with Cyrus standing in for Charlie. Unlike Paul Shrader's Hardcore (another updated remake of Searchers), it retains a southwestern setting, but like that movie it splits the John Wayne character into two, "Bob Whatever" the judgemental father and Case the streetwise, degraded young woman who simultaneously helps the father and serves as an object lesson on what the daughter will become if she is not saved.

******** I did the imdb thing and found out that the movie The Searchers is based on the same-titled book by Alan Le May. I put the movie in our Netflix queue. Aside from simple plot similarities, comments on the characters in the movie sounded close to the Teran book also. I think Le May's book came out in 1954 and the movie in 1956.

miker