RARA-AVIS: Re: Middleton and Jacobean Noir

From: Chris Schneider ( chrisaschneider@earthlink.net)
Date: 26 May 2003

on 5/25/03 6:10 AM, Al Guthrie at allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk wrote:

> Viewed as a parody of a parody, [the Alex Cox-directed "Revenger's Tragedy"]
> certainly worked for me.

     Speaking of "parody of a parody," have you seen the film called
"Middleton's Changeling"? Marcus Thompson was the director, De Flores was played by Ian Dury, and the rest of the cast included Billy Connolly along with my beloved Vivian Stanshall.
     I haven't seen it. Memory tells me that nobody liked it much, one nomination for a 1998 Fantasporto Award notwithstanding. (The award went to Miike's "Fudoh.") But the film seems to have been a deliberately anachronistic -- and anarchistic -- parody/recreation/hommage. One Googlw citation that I was able to find mentions director Thompson cutting his footage to the music of Jimi Hendrix.
      It's one of those titles that lingers in my memory, with a gigantic
"?" next to it. I'd be eager for some elucidating detail.

Chris