RARA-AVIS: Re: Jason Starr (was: The nineties and on...)

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 26 May 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mario Taboada" < matrxtech@yahoo.com>

> Like Bill, I am very fond of Jason Starr's work. It's sleek
> noir, stylistically very different from the classics
> (Thompson, Goodis) and with a touch of Westlakian humor
> which punctuates with the grim events he deals with. Nice.

I'll second Mario's opinion. And anybody who hasn't read his latest, "Tough Luck", should consider remedying that unfortunate situation as soon as possible. It's a superbly crafted example of the keep-digging-a-deeper-hole-for-the-hero novel. A bit of blatant self-promotion here, but only because it may be of interest to fans on the list: Jason Starr will be the featured author for the next issue of my website, Noir Originals. Anyone who'd like to contribute a review/article/essay - or who has any questions to put to him that don't involve Halle Berry - please contact me offlist.

Al allan@allanguthrie.co.uk