Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Violence (was: Violent Saturday)

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 26 May 2003

Al,

I really like your idea about a classification system of fictional violence. Out of curiosity, where would you place Crumley? I always thought he was one of the best at writing firefights, especially in his masterpiece Last Good Kiss. Somewhere between reportorial and overkill, it felt like you were right there in the midst of it, caught up in the moment, just catching snatches of what was going on around you as you try to comprehend what's going on in simultaneously sped up and slowed down time. It kind of reminded me of Walter Hill at his best, in a film like Long Riders -- his fractured take on David Carradine's knifefight worked incredibly well, breaking away from the model of his forbear, Sam Peckinpah.

Mark