RARA-AVIS: Re: The nineties and on...

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 25 May 2003

I think Walter Mosley has a lot of good stuff in him. And as long as Lawrence Block, Joe Gores, Donald Westlake have the good health and the disposition to publish, I will continue reading them eagerly.

Like Bill, I am very fond of Jason Starr's work. It's sleek noir, stylistically very different from the classics
(Thompson, Goodis) and with a touch of Westlakian humor which punctuates with the grim events he deals with. Nice.

Somebody mentioned Kent Harrington, another outstanding noir writer. Not too prolific but haunting and incredibly skilled in the art of writing.

T. Jefferson Parker has proven himself a fine and consistent writer; his work should give satisfaction in the next couple of decades.

Urgent stop. What will rara avis look like in 20 years?

Will we all be lamenting the lack of a modern Sue Grafton?

Will we be longing for the good old days of Robert Parker?

Will we be discussing the exact definitions of hardboiled and protonoir, postnoir, noir and neonoir?

Will we have finished our TBR piles?

It's too scary, guys. Sorry to ramble. I've been away for several months.

Best,

MrT