Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Jacobean Noir

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 25 May 2003

----- Original Message ----- Mark wrote:
> Alex Cox has made another good movie?

Viewed as a parody of a parody, it certainly worked for me. Some of the plot elements are utterly ludicrous, but that's Jacobean black humour for you. But for my money, the best movie adaption of a Revenge Tragedy is Juliet Taymor's "Titus." It's weird and wonderful, even though the plot's as full of holes as a colander and the character motivations are often fairly dubious. Must have been nice writing for an Elizabethan/Jacobean audience - suspension of disbelief never seems to be a issue.

Al