Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Jacobean Noir

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 24 May 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Schneider" < chrisaschneider@earthlink.net>

> Ah, the Jacobeans! Admittedly, I tend a little more towards Cyril
Tourneur
> (cf. "The Revenger's Tragedy") and John Webster (cf. "The Duchess of
Malfi"
> and "The White Devil"), but "The Changeling is pretty terrific too.

It may interest you to know, Chris, that these days Middleton is credited with authorship of "The Revenger's Tragedy." Tourneur's claim was in vogue from 1650 until well into the 1980s, but modern scholars believe their predecessors were mistaken. Modern editions of the play credit Middleton as the author, as does the recent excellent Alex Cox film.

Al