RE: RARA-AVIS: Violent Saturday

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 23 May 2003

William Denton wrote:

One interesting thing is that the bank robbery, which is shown being planned and put in motion, is then almost left out of it. Heath lets a couple of people tell what they saw happen, but he never describes it in the main narrative. Other events, and reactions, prove to be more important. It's not what I expected.

********* It's artsy to leave the violent part out and then just gradually fill the reader in on the details after the fact. I place the blame on Faulkner for popularizing the technique in SANCTUARY. Edward Anderson liked it and followed suit in THIEVES LIKE US. It's a delightful little game the writer plays with the reader. The reader endures endless talking and talking and talking and then something really wicked or exciting occurs but the only way you hear about it is through more talking and talking and...

At least Heath finally delivers out there at the barn.

miker