Re: RARA-AVIS: SOUL CIRCUS

From: Joy Matkowski ( jmatkowski1@comcast.net)
Date: 21 May 2003

I loved this book, especially the last chapter and, as you noted, the well-rounded bad guys. My only problem with it, which perhaps you can address, is that it seemed to me that the illegal gun dealer (Ulysses?) wasn't making any money. He seemed to have a low-volume, low-profit business, with lots of intermediaries to pay off, and he would have had a higher income if he had stayed in the police department. Am I missing something?

Joy the literalist

Graham Powell wrote:
> I just finished SOUL CIRCUS last night, and I thought it was pretty good,
my
> favorite of the three Strange/Quinn books. There's a few preachy
stretches,
> but generally Pelecanos shows you the results of gun violence instead of
> telling you how bad it is. . . .
> One that Pelecanos still does as well as he ever did is write bad guys.
All