Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: God Is a Bullet

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 19 May 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin Burton Smith" < kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com>

> Al Guthrie wrote:
>
> >For what it's worth, I thought "God.." was a well-written, entertaining,
> >compact thriller. Hardboiled but not in the least bit noir.
>
> Well, granted, it was a thriller. And we can argue until the cows
> come home about whether it was well-written or entertaining, but gee,
> Al, compact?
>
> It's something like twice the length of an old Gold Medal PBO. It may
> be a lot of things, but it's not compact. Part of my problem with it,
> in fact, was how overwritten it was, how he never used a sentence
> when a bloated paragraph or three would do. In fact, some editor
> taking a weedwhacker to the damn thing might have made it a much
> better book

Forced into a bloated sentence or three when I foolishly believed a single word would suffice: At 306 pages, "God Is A Bullet" is on the short side for a modern thriller. There's a lot of action in it. Some people might describe that combination as compact.

Kevin, you can't compare the length of GIAB with Gold Medal PBOs. The average length of a modern thriller is no longer 159 pages. More like 350-400, I'd guess.

Al