RARA-AVIS: The last for myth

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 18 May 2003

Marianne Macdonald wrote: It resonates with me too. Was it somebody commenting on the settlers' early push westward vs the 'American dream'?

her comment was in response to my post: There is a line in Teran's GOD IS A BULLET about the first battles being for blood and land, but the last being for myth. I've seen that quote or something like it before but I can't place where. Anybody know?

************* I think I saw it in a nonfiction book called HISTORY OF WARFARE by Keegan. I've loaned it out so I can't check it. It's not a very profound quote, but it sends chills up my spine. It means that tribes begin a war for measurable objectives, be it land or material, but when defeat is inevitable, forces are gathered and a doomed last charge takes them to death, glory, and myth.

miker