RARA-AVIS: Re: D. Daniel Judson - question for Gary

From: Jan Long ( janlong821@earthlink.net)
Date: 18 May 2003

Joy wrote:

> Yes, BONE ORCHARD reads like a book in the middle of a series, with
> lots of
> unexplained references to past events, and POISONED ROSE is a prequel.

and Gary, agreeing with her, gave us a link to his review of the two, which begins: "There are two possibilities for readers of this series. Readers could read this book and then the previously released THE BONE ORCHARD, which chronologically takes place after this novel, THE POISONED ROSE. The second possibility is better: play the game with the author, for he is creating literature in an uncharted sea. He is writing his series backwards."

Gary, I have a question about this. I haven't seen that June/July Mystery News, so am unable to look it up myself. Was that bit about writing the series backwards something that came up in the interview? I'm curious, because I'd read on a different list that he'd actually written ROSE first but couldn't sell it, then wrote ORCHARD, sold it to Bantam as part of a two-book deal, and they used ROSE as the second of the two books. I'd already read ORCHARD when I heard that, and actually, that was the only reason I bought the second book (although I still haven't read it yet). I think you liked the first one a lot more than I did. I don't mind an occasional mention of something that happened in a character's past that we don't know about, but the continual references in ORCHARD to what I gather is the story covered in ROSE were something that I found very annoying. Hearing that the books were published out of order was what made me decide to give the author a second chance. But now it seems that may not have been accurate.

Thanks for any insight on this,

Jan