RARA-AVIS: Re: The nineties, and on

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 16 May 2003

I lookd over my shelves and noticed another new writer I really like, one with just two books: Scott Phillips. THE ICE HARVEST (2000) and THE WALKAWAY (2002) are two related novels set in Wichita, Kansas, the first on Christmas Eve in 1979, the second set both years before and after. If you haven't read them, at least try the first one.

Phillips and Jason Starr both consciously work in the old Gold Medal vein, with short books, terse prose, action, very lean. This isn't a bad thing at all--they're very good, and I like that style--but it also makes me wonder what sort of new styles will come along. Heavy use of conversation seems to be getting more and more popular.

Bill