RARA-AVIS: Re: THE LAST DETECTIVE

From: Graham Powell ( bleekerbooks@hotmail.com)
Date: 14 May 2003

Just to make my earlier comments clear: I liked THE LAST DETECTIVE, but not as much as the earlier Elvis Cole books. I feel that it compares to Crais' thrillers better than his detective stories. Also, I have no bias against mixing first and third person narration when it's done well. I assume that the viewpoint shifts are a sign that the author is chafing against the restrictions of using a narrator. In this situation, it might be better to get rid of the first person narration altogether.

As for backstory, I don't know the life histories of many of my friends, but I know their personalities, I know what they're likely to do or say, and I don't think I really need to know everything that ever happened to them to understand them. I think we're more than the sum of our experiences anyway.

Graham