RARA-AVIS: Point-of-View, *The Last Detective*

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 14 May 2003

Bill Crider wrote:

>>>I was irritated by several things in THE LAST
DETECTIVE, but what really got me was that near the end, when the third-person viewpoint shifted rapidly, there were little headings to tell me whose viewpoint I was getting. I'm pretty slow, but I can usually figure stuff like that out without much prompting. It was unnecessary and it took me out of the story.<<<

Character headings at the beginning of a session is helpful, I think, unless the author makes sure we know who is speaking.

Other than character headings, I like the first sentence of each section to begin with the name of the character whose head we are in.

Again it's the soup and broth thing. What works for you, may not work for me.

Jack

===== See changes at: http://JackBludis.com