RARA-AVIS: Re: Shoedog (was: How much Background?)

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 14 May 2003

Jim Blue writes:
> Shoedog is the only one of George P's books I haven't read, but he did a
> masterful job of weaving childhood stories into the adult lives of those
who
> populated "The Big Blowdown," and there's plenty of early life background
> laced through the Nick stories.

Good to have you back, Jim. Hope those health problems are in the past now.

I suspect you have to read SHOEDOG to appreciate the original complaint. Chapter three is entirely backstory, and is longer than chapters one and two combined. No weaving, just a massive seam. And there's no question that it holds up the story. A pity, because I think a lot of people might give up on it before discovering that SHOEDOG is an excellent Gold Medal-type tale.

Al