RARA-AVIS: Re: "Love's Lovely Counterfeit" and "Slightly Scarlet"

From: Chris Schneider ( chrisaschneider@earthlink.net)
Date: 13 May 2003

> On 25 Jan 2002, Ian Galbraith wrote

> it also has elements of Love's Lovely Counterfeit by James M. Cain

I thought I might throw in a mention, since I subscribed to Rara Avis as an indirect result of acquiring a copy of Love's Lovely Counterfeit, of the film version of Love's Lovely Counterfeit, the wild and wacky Slightly Scarlet. (Director: Allan Dwan; script: Robert Blees; director of photography: John Alton: prominent actors: John Payne, Rhonda Fleming, Arlene Dahl, Ted de Corsia).

One could say that Arlene Dahl, with her red hair and her leopard-skin bathing suit and her vicious speargun, is at least as good an icon of mid-'50s id as The Creature from the Black Lagoon.

In any case, it's an intriguing anomaly in that the source (Cain) and the themes and the actors (Payne, Fleming, de Corsia) are so clearly noir-connected, and yet the visual style is one of Superscope and blazing Technicolor.

- -

(Note: Yes, this is my first posting. I'm more familiar with noir-on-the-screen than noir-on-the-page, as a rule. But that's a situation that can be remedied, no?)