Re: RARA-AVIS: How much Background?

From: WordRunner@aol.com
Date: 12 May 2003

In a message dated 5/12/03 2:07:28 PM, buff@pobox.com writes:

<< George Pelecanos does a lengthy background in SHOEDOG, too, which was the first time a Pelecanos book has let me down. >>

Shoedog is the only one of George P's books I haven't read, but he did a masterful job of weaving childhood stories into the adult lives of those who populated "The Big Blowdown," and there's plenty of early life background laced through the Nick stories.
    I think this is a content issue like most others -- if it's done because that's how the writer sees the story and if the writer accomplishes the task he/her has set for himself effectively, then the book works and the background doesn't soften the level of boil one iota.

                                    Jim Blue

BTW, I haven't been absent out of a loss of interest. Rara health problems seem to be too prevalent (at least around here) at the moment. I'll be better soon, I hope, and will be more active when I'm able.