RARA-AVIS: very noir

From: Joy Matkowski ( jmatkowski1@comcast.net)
Date: 08 May 2003

I've just finished reading Daniel Judson's POISONED ROSE, which has to be about the noirest book I've ever read. Again and again, I the reader had a flicker of hope that the (relatively) good guys would find a way out of their desperate circumstances, and every time those hopes were crushed, by the corrupt chief of police and his flunkies, duplicitous employers, manipulative oligarchs, and the shadows of horrible childhoods. And all of this on Long Island, not the prototypical location for neon signs illuminating dark walkups.
    Has anyone else read this? I'd like to know if my impression of noir is the generally accepted one. (I think the book is also HB.)

Joy