RARA-AVIS: Bearded Ladies

From: Mbdlevin@aol.com
Date: 04 May 2003

Talmage Powell, Start Screaming Murder, 1962. Set in Florida city
(fictionalized Sarasota or St. Pete?) with wintering carnival/circus folk. P.I. Ed Rivers hard at work. One scene is in a mini house occupied by a lovely little person who breaks Ed's heart a bit. I think that there are other novels in this series -- not sure how much they involve carneys. Edgar Box's (aka Gore Vidal's) "Death Likes It Hot" begins with the murder of a circus midget, but I'm not sure how much more of the book hinges on the circus, etc. I think there's a true crime book about the sordid life and murder of Lobster Boy. Isn't there a Flannery O'Connor story about two kids sneaking into a carnival to see a hermaphrodite?

Doug