RARA-AVIS: Re: Vachss

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 06 May 2003

Vachss has, in fact, written a few Batman stories. I think there was a graphic novel and a mini-series, both dealing with -- what else? -- child abuse. As I remember they were pretty good, featuring the grimmer, darker Batman of recent years.

In fact, I think Vachss' comic book work (he's done some other stuff, including a great series of short stories from Dark Horse a few years ago adapted to comic form called HARD LOOKS) and his short fiction are usually far sharper and more pointed and less cartoonish than his Burke novels.

As for whether Vachss swings to the left or the right, who cares? Most of the Burke novels are so heavy-handed they barely swing at all
-- just plod on and on, following a straight line from intro to conclusion, leaving a string of atrocities and corpses in their wake. Burke's solution to most problems too often is to simply set the villains up and then blow them away. That's not the typical leftist response, unless you consider you-know-who a liberal...

--

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.thrillingdetective.com Five years on... -- # To unsubscribe from the regular list, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to # majordomo@icomm.ca. This will not work for the digest version. # The web pages for the list are at http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/ .