RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: Gorman's Sam McCain: Matkowski

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 06 May 2003

Yes, indeed, WILL YOU is a sequel to WAKE UP. I think Gorman's town is really more like the Cedar Rapids of his youth, or his dream of an exurb at that time; Sam McCain definitely seems a very autumnal 24-year-old in this book, and will look forward to see how wizened an 18yo he is as I go on to the other books in the series (this is the first I've read). There were no blatant chronological bobbles in WILL YOU, as I recall, which involves an Alger Hiss analog and two highly Gold-Medal-flavored-farcical female operatives of, respectively, a ultranationalist US group and the Soviet spy apparatus. McCain trusts one of them instantly for no good reason, and some of the character names will throw you (a long-term friend is Mary Travers, though not the Mightily Winded Mary Travers). So, a flawed but pleasant book. TM

-----Original Message----- From: Joy Matkowski [mailto: jmatkowski1@comcast.net] I take it that's in the same series as WAKE UP LITTLE SUSIE, which I didn't finish. The protag didn't seem young, and the setting didn't seem anything like small town 1950s America, at least not mine (which was once profiled as the epitome of real America by the Saturday Evening Post). Had I detected anything left-sympathetic I might have kept reading.
     Todd Mason wrote:
> Now for some arguably leftist, or left-sympathetic, medium boiled, I read
Ed