RARA-AVIS: Re: Vachss

From: Marianne Macdonald ( marianne.macdonald@lineone.net)
Date: 03 May 2003

After 50 pages of Blue Belle, I think I may wind up agreeing with all of this. I am enjoying it for the writing style, as Al suggests. Vachss is literate (old academic speaking here), _always_ a Good Thing IMNSHO. The characters are vigorously presented, and this seems to be a superior version of the kind of thing I was talking about when I mentioned the cartoonish nature of a lot of hb. Burke is Batman, isn't he. I like the modern Batman. (In fact, I enjoy good graphic novels for reasons which may or may not depend on the quality of the writing - anybody else here know CEREBUS?) The plot so far is fairy tale stuff; but perhaps I'm in the mood for it at the moment. Your warning against the later stuff is duly noted. :-p

Marianne