Re: RARA-AVIS: Steven Hunter ? was Dirty White Boys (was Hard Boiled Pulitzer)

From: Terrill Lankford ( lankford2000@earthlink.net)
Date: 16 Apr 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: JIM DOHERTY < jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com> To: < rara-avis@icomm.ca> Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 9:46 AM Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Steven Hunter ? was Dirty White Boys (was Hard Boiled Pulitzer)

> Ed,
>
> Re your comment below:
>
> > What happened to that guy with HOT SPRINGS?
>
> Prior to HOT SPRINGS, he's a sort of gray eminence
> (though he doesn't actually appear on stage, having
> been killed more than 30 years earlier) in DIRTY WHITE
> BOYS. In fact, it's Lamar's dad who kills him, dying
> himself in the process. Another book I haven't read
> yet has Earl Swagger's son, "Bob the Nailer," and one
> of the sons of the state trooper hero in DWB looking
> into that death.

WARNING: SPOILERS BELOW FOR DIRTY WHITE BOYS, BLACK LIGHT, and TIME TO HUNT, DO NOT LOOK ANY FURTHER IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THOSE BOOKS!

Jim,

There's a couple things wrong with this info, the first being that Earl is actually Lamar's dad, (which we find out in BLACK LIGHT). Lamar is actually Bob's half-brother! I believe Earl's death at the hand of Lamar's supposed father is also a misnomer (I'm going off a distant memory now, having read all these books on publication, so I could be wrong about something here, but I'll forge on anyway). If you read TIME TO HUNT you'll find there was a bigger conspiracy behind Earl's demise. And a classic "second gun".

TL

EARTHQUAKE WEATHER Coming in 2004 from Ballantine Books