Re: RARA-AVIS: Steven Hunter ? was Dirty White Boys (was Hard Boiled Pulitzer)

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 16 Apr 2003

Ed,

Re your comment below:

> What happened to that guy with HOT SPRINGS?

Prior to HOT SPRINGS, he's a sort of gray eminence
(though he doesn't actually appear on stage, having been killed more than 30 years earlier) in DIRTY WHITE BOYS. In fact, it's Lamar's dad who kills him, dying himself in the process. Another book I haven't read yet has Earl Swagger's son, "Bob the Nailer," and one of the sons of the state trooper hero in DWB looking into that death.

Earl Lee carries the ball in another novel set in the
"late '40s/early '50s" era called PALE HORSE COMING. No longer a DA's investigator, he's now in the Arkansas State Police, from which he takes a leave to try to find a dear friend who's disappeared investigating an infamous prison farm for black convicts in Mississippi.

> Up to that point I'd read everything he'd ever
> written, but with HOT SPRINGS I stopped about
> halfway.
> All I remember was really, really atrocious
> dialogue
> and the grotesque overuse of a certain racial slur.
> Was there any sort of a plot? Did his subsequent
> books get better?

I have to respectfully disagree with you here. I couldn't put HOT SPRINGS down, and I found myself rereading portions several times. The dialog may have been a bit melodramatic, but I found it convincing in context. It was an unabashedly melodramatic story, after all. And I thought the action scenes were great. Further, the hillbily gangster clan, the Grumleys, were marvelous.

SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT

Had you stuck with it, the book ended with the birth of "Bob the Nailer," and Earl's getting hired as a state trooper. Lamar and his cousin, as children, make a cameo appearance in the last scene.

END SPOILER ALERT END SPOILER ALERT END SPOILER ALERT

I highly recommend HOT SPRINGS, and I found Earl Lee Swagger to be a character who, more than most, fits Chandler's recipe for the hard-boiled protagonist.

"He is the hero. He is everything."

JIM DOHERTY