Re: RARA-AVIS: Serpents Tail and...

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 15 Apr 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "wvr" < wvr12@yahoo.com>

> First off, congrats Charlie on the new book coming
> out. I usually try to read the stuff written by the
> rare birds (anxiously awaiting yours Al) and with it
> being published by Serpents Tail I'm even more
> interested. That brings me to my question.
<snip>
> Just curious if anyone has any
> other favorite publishers, even if they are now
> defunct.

Thanks for the mention, Will. I totally agree about Serpent's Tail. Edinburgh publisher Canongate also have a really good crime list (nice website designed by the same company that designed Serpent's Tail's - Screenbase, their offices are just round the corner from where I live) - new fiction and reprints, with a tendency towards hardboiled/noir. The Do Not Press, who publish Russell James, also have an interestingly dark (and often erotic) list. I'd second the recommendation for No Exit. As for defunct publishers, I've had a lot of fun with Blue Murder (not related to the equally defunct website). I'd love to see a complete listing, if anybody has such a thing.

Al