Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: SHOOT HORSES? and existentialism

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 15 Apr 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Charlie Williams" < cs_will@hotmail.com>

> The way I look at existentialism - which is a bit simplistic I admit - is
> that I exist and the rest of you are just here to keep me amused. Sorry to
> break it to you that way. But you're doing a good job, if that's any
> consolation.

Forgive me for questioning the co-founder of the "mad noir" school, but that sounds like solipsism to me, Charlie. I don't know that it's compatible with existentialism - existential choice involves other people or things which have to be believed to exist in order to make any of our choices meaningful. Of course, it's possible I've completely failed to understand the whole philosophy. Highly possible.

Al