RARA-AVIS: Serpents Tail and...

From: wvr ( wvr12@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Apr 2003

First off, congrats Charlie on the new book coming out. I usually try to read the stuff written by the rare birds (anxiously awaiting yours Al) and with it being published by Serpents Tail I'm even more interested. That brings me to my question. I really enjoy the works published by Serpents Tail, I am much more inclined to pick up a new book/author if they are published by Serpents Tail because I have had such great luck with their books. I am also a huge fan of the old Black Lizard line and even the new Black Lizard/Vintage is putting out some interesting things. OK, here is the question actually: Are there any other publishing houses that consistently put out good hardiboiled/noir books? I live in a smaller midwestern town and my B&N has a terribly small 'mystery section' so I don't get to browse much and I don't see much new stuff on the shelves. Just curious if anyone has any other favorite publishers, even if they are now defunct. I do most of my buying online anyway so I'm sure I could look for them. Thanks in advance for any help, Will