RE: RARA-AVIS: LITTLE MEXICO (was Cell phones in crime novels)

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 11 Apr 2003

John Celestri wrote: Cathie and I intentionally wrote the two sections to feel and read differently, so that Claudette's part would feel more feminine and Bruno's more masculine. But actually, we hashed out the scenes together, sitting in front of the computer, as we do to write all our novels.

In fact, as I recall, a lot of Claudette's musings as she stared out the window of her room in the bordello, waiting for her next customer, came out of my head. It was Cathie's idea for Bruno to stuff a wad of cement in
"Dandy" Charlie's mouth to shut him up. My wife's not as sweet as she looks.

LITTLE MEXICO was published in 2000. If you're interested, the sequel IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER will be out in a couple of weeks.

The story takes place in the 1940s when the closest thing to a cell phone was Dick Tracy's radio wristwatch.

************** I particularly liked the setting in Newport, Kentucky. I'm in southern Indiana and every year we make the summer pilgrimage to Kings Island amusement park in Cincinnati. Newport is right across the Ohio River. They've got an aquarium there that is nicer than the one in Monterey and Chicago.

I was amazed at the notorious real-life reputation Newport had from the 40s into the 60s. I didn't know anything about that until reading the information on your site. I would have never thought of Newport as a hotbed of gangster crime.

Are there many landmarks mentioned in LITTLE MEXICO that still exist?

miker