Re: RARA-AVIS: Don't look now, but here come the eighties

From: Grimes ( redgrimes@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 11 Apr 2003

A tv show which may have contributed to the changing view of the PI, especialy as it relates to fantasy and extraordinary fighting skills, and a new three-dimensionality, is The Rockford Files. I'd put Jim Rockford up there with the seminal PIs. (And fwiw, the show was created by Roy Huggins.)

You could usually count on Jim to get beaten up pretty good by the goons without getting many good pops off himself. Jim was tough, and could take a beating, but he didn't hand out many (or any?) himself. Now that I think of it, he was sort of a precursor of Rocky in the movies. Rocky took a pounding from Apollo Creed, but managed to win in the end even though he didn't do a whole lot of damage to Apollo's pretty face. Jim Rockford and Rocky Balboa both took a licking and kept on ticking.

Steve

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gerald So" < gso@optonline.net> To: < rara-avis@icomm.ca> Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2003 4:39 AM Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Don't look now, but here come the eighties

> Bill Denton wrote:
>
> >Mr. So, I noticed, runs a mailing list called DetecToday, "Dedicated to
> >the new wave of mystery writers (male or female, mid-1980s -
> >present)...What, if anything, have they decided over there about
> >hardboiled detectives in the 1980s? Where did they come from? Where did
> >they go?
>
> We haven't come up with full-fledged theories, but I'll ask and share the
> results here. Personally, I think hardboiled detectives are still out
> there, but ideas of toughness have changed. Characters are more
> three-dimensional. Violent action needs better explanation.
>
> >Was it in the late seventies/early eighties when the split happened,
> >people realized the contemporary hardboiled dick was a fantasy, and they
> >either had to modernize him or write historical novels?
>
> That sounds about right. TV has a lot to do with changing views on
private
> eyes/lone ops. Shows like "Magnum, "Simon & Simon," and "Riptide," had a
> level of fantasy that audiences wouldn't accept today. With access to
> Court TV and forensic documentaries, viewers don't quite believe the
> fantasy elements of shows like "Dellaventura" and "Vengeance Unlimited."
In