Re: RARA-AVIS: Cell phones in crime novels

From: Chris Martin ( cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 11 Apr 2003

Mark wrote:
>However, as with anything else, I think it depends upon the writer's
>skill. The first time I remember seeing cell phones used extensvely was
>in the movie Trespass, allowing the drug dealers to communicate with
>each other while combing the abandoned building for witnesses. Walter
>Hill used it very effecively to heighten suspense.

Another fine example is found in Right As Rain from Pelecanos. Strange and Quinn use cell phones to communicate. As they note, Walkie Talkies tend to draw stares, but cell phones allow one to look like every other donkey out there blathering away.

_________________________________________________________________ The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail