RE: RARA-AVIS: Windy City Pulp & Paberback Convention

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 10 Apr 2003

Miker,

Re your question below:

> So did you go, Jim? If yes, tell us about it. Did
> you
> get to meet Hugh Cave? Did you buy anything? Did
> you
> get to see the MR. DYNAMITE movie?

Yes I did. Small but nicely run convention. I'll probably go again next year.

MR. DYNAMITE was nothing to write home about. I'm not sorry I saw it, but I wouldn't have been sorry to have missed it.

The highlight was meeting Hugh Cave, one of the last of the old-time pulpsters. It was something to meet a guy who was contirbuting to magazines like DIME DETECTIVE and DETECTIVE FICTION WEEKLY at around the same time that Hammett and Chandler were. He signed a collection of his '30s PI stories, BOTTLED IN BLONDE, for me, as well as a story of his that was included in an anthology of RCMP stories from the pulps called SCARLET RIDERS. I'm sorry I didn't get to spend more time with him, but at least I got the autographs.

JIM DOHERTY