Re: RARA-AVIS: *To Have and Have Not.*

From: jumblejim ( jumblejim@prodigy.net)
Date: 07 Apr 2003

Jack Bludis wrote:

> The Harry Morgan of the Hemingway novel is not to
> be confused with the Harry Morgan in the Bogart
> movie of the same title. (Screenplay by William
> Faulkner and Jules Furthman.) Unlike the cool,
> sharp businessman, as played by Bogart. This
> Harry Morgan is a loser. He is screwed or doomed,
> take your pick.
>
> I read the novel years ago, and was surprised to
> realize that the movie was so different. I
> suppose visual and auditory images stick with you
> better than just a reading of a book unless the
> visual is grossly inferior.

I have not read the novel, but I'm told that the John Garfield movie "The Breaking Point" (1950) is a much closer adaptation of the novel than the eponymous one. It's got that "a man alone ain't got a chance" line, too. It was remade as "The Gun Runners" with Audie Murphy, but I've not heard much about that one.

Jim Beaver