RARA-AVIS: Man with the Golden Arm

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 03 Apr 2003

Just finished watching the movie. Frank Sinatra and 1958. It wasn't too bad. I started to read the book a few months ago but I had some trouble with his style and bailed out before I had given it a fair chance. Who are the two women, Sasha and Molly? The soundtrack was really heavy with the horns. Damn good movie, really.

I think that Algren got some credit for writing Proletariat, but I'm not sure if MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM plays that way. I liked the irony about his golden arm. Golden because he could deal cards with it? Golden because he could play the drums? Or golden because that's what it had to be worth with all the heroin he had pumped into it?

miker