RE: RARA-AVIS: Australian hardboiled summarized

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 03 Apr 2003

Ed Lynskey wrote:

Thanks for the compilation. I needed a new list to print out before my next book search.

BTW, does "hard-boiled" qualify for "beach reading"?

**************** The beach! You devil! Spring break? ;-) I'm jealous. We couldn't afford to go anywhere this year. Anyway, back on- topic, I've had some decent luck finding Australian hardboiled so far. I've got Carter Brown's THE BODY in hand, with the following coming:

WHITE MEAT, Peter Corris 1981 (second in Cliff Hardy PI series) IN THE EVIL DAY, Peter Temple 2001 PETER'S PENCE, Jon Cleary THE LAST TANGO OF DOLORES DELGADO, Marele Day
  I don't like to get too far ahead of myself so I'll bang on those for a while and then get some more. I've got Kenneth Cook's WAKE IN FRIGHT (2003) on my Amazon wish list.

I believe that somebody on Rara-avis (Rene?) mentioned that hardboiled got its start in Australia in the Forties, but I haven't found anything stretching back that far yet, and that concerns me, because I definitely want to read some of the very first stuff. I bought Carter Brown's THE BODY (1958) because it was the earliest one I could find of his. And by the way, I've just started it, but it's pretty darned good so far.

Thanks, miker