RE: RARA-AVIS: Dos Passos

From: Ed Lynskey ( e_lynskey@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Apr 2003

--- Robison Michael R CNIN < Robison_M@crane.navy.mil> wrote:
> Just as an aside, I hear that Dos Passos went from the obvious
> flaming liberal in his earlier years to an embittered
> conservative
> in his latter years, and that his prose perhaps suffered for
> it.

FWIW, we heard Dos Passos' daughter and biographer speak a couple years ago. She's a horticulturist and arrived late in her father's life. It was funny to hear how he reacted to the 1960s civil turmoil that his college-age daughter was in the middle of. Apparently, he was crusty but still kept a sense of humor about him. One thing I liked hearing was that Dos Passos answered all of his mail from readers. I'll also cast a vote in favor MANHATTAN TRANSFER. I read it years ago and enjoyed it.

Ed Lynskey

=====