RE: RARA-AVIS: Re proletarian novels

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 31 Mar 2003

Joy Matkowski wrote:

I haven't seen anyone mention Steinbeck in this category. Of Mice and Men and Grapes of Wrath, among others, were written in the 1930s.

************* Thank you, Joy. His IN DUBIOUS BATTLE is in there too. I liked OF MICE AND MEN. I read it a long time ago, and I just started it again here recently. I don't know if I'm going to have any luck with the others. I'd really like to read THE GRAPES OF WRATH, but it's killing me to read Dos Passos's 42ND PARALLEL. The characters are interesting but nothing much is happening. The child in me demands action. The only thing that allowed me to continue was that he slacked off on the Marxist rhetoric after a while. I don't like that, and it has nothing to do with political preferences. I don't like Horatio Algers either.

Thanks again, miker