Re: RARA-AVIS: RE: Hunter and Leonard

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 29 Mar 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dick Lochte" < dlochte@adelphia.net>

> "And finally, should Hunter and Leonard have lied?"
>
> I think it's a mistake to make too much about these off-the-cuff
> comments. Both Hunter and Leonard are of a certain age and of a
> certain status where it becomes rather insulting for them to be
> asked about writers who have influenced them. Or to be asked
> about any other writers at all. They've been churning out the
> books for forty or fifty years. They probably feel that they
> should be asked about their own novels.
>
> My take is: they did lie. And they're entitled to.

Well, without inviting Hunter and Leonard to take lie detector tests, there's no way of knowing for sure. But I'm frankly astonished you think so. I can easily see how Chandler's style of writing would drive Leonard to distraction. After all, their writing is contrary in almost every possible way.

Al