RARA-AVIS: "Criminal Conversation" in PARIS REVIEW #164: Guthrie

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 28 Mar 2003

-----Original Message----- From: Al Guthrie [mailto: allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk] Jim has raised a number of intriguing questions:

Is Chandler's writing flawless?
--Oh, no. In fact, Leonard's later (in the issue/transcript) criticism of some of RC's heavy-handed metaphor is spot on, as far as I'm concerned.

Of those who did learn something from them, who writes as well as Chandler or Hammett?
--Respectively, Ross Macdonald and Paul Cain. At least it's pretty close.

Is Chandler's dialogue superior to Leonard's?
--At times.

Is PLAYBACK better than THE SWITCH?
--Haven't exposed myself to either of those yet. The only Chandler novel I haven't read.

And finally, should Hunter and Leonard have lied?
--A little less cocksure implied self-congratulation would've been seemly in both cases.

TM, fwiw.