Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA-AVIS Digest V5 #102

From: Kerry Schooley ( gsp.schoo@skylinc.net)
Date: 28 Mar 2003

At 02:27 PM 28/03/2003 +0000, you wrote:

>On Thursday, March 27, 2003, at 09:00 AM, RARA-AVIS Digest wrote:
>
>>"In the 1930s, were there any other writers that wrote hardboiled
>>Proletariat novels besides Dos Passos and Steinbeck?"
>

>You might want to investigate James T Farrell, Thomas Wolfe, Faulkner,
>Erskine Caldwell, Michael Gold, maybe Sinclair Lewis though really too
>sentimental, Upton Sinclair, Josephine Herbst, Langston Hughes (wrote
>novels as well as his poetry), Richard Wright?...probably a lot of others
>now forgotten - and certainly by me.

Add Walter Mosley, whose essay "Workin' on the Chain Gang" I took to be a cautious social-democracy treatise. Easy Rawlins' community of Southern Blacks has travelled cross country to work in the aerospace plants around L.A. Nobody I remember expected to be boss or owner. Rawlins harbours ambitions toward middle-class property ownership, but they rise and are frustrated over the series. The Socrates Fortlow characters seem resigned to their social and economic lot, with aspirations more in the spiritual realm.

Kerry

------------------------------------------------------ Literary events Calendar (South Ont.) http://www.lit-electric.com The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com