RARA-AVIS: RE: Middle Aged PIs

From: Dick Lochte ( dlochte@adelphia.net)
Date: 27 Mar 2003

Kevin Burton Smith wrote of George Pelecanos' frequent references to music tastes:

"...it's certainly a lot more honest than all these allegedly middle-aged detective characters now who seemingly only listen to music from the jazz era, or make it a point of pride that they know nothing of the popular culture of their own time."

As always, Kevin raises an interesting point. However, speaking as the author of one of those jazz-and-40s pop-loving middle-aged PI's, let me say that a lack of honesty isn't the problem. It has more to do with the longevity of the series. The book that introduced my fifty-ish hero Leo Bloodworth was written in '84 and published in '85. Born in the '30s, Leo would have grown up listening to Johnny Mercer and Hoagy Carmichael and Louis Armstrong, etc. In the Bloodworth fiction I write these days, mainly shorts and novelettes, I could carry him into his eighties, which may be a little limiting, but I prefer to keep him in his middle years. Even if I wanted to, I don't think I could update his sensibilities, however. So, honest or not, he's not going to be trading in his Cab Calloway records on Snoop Dogg mini-CDs.