Re: RARA-AVIS: Ph.D.'s in hardboiled

From: Ed Lynskey ( e_lynskey@yahoo.com)
Date: 27 Mar 2003

--- abc@wt.net wrote:
> Ed, the memory of that dissertation pains me. It's probably
> even worse than I think it was. Coincidentally, Robert B.
> Parker and I did our dissertations at about the same time
> (1971 or so) and on the same topic: Hammett, Chandler,
> Macdonald. (And, as my wife says, "Look at him now and then
> look at you.") My title was THE PRIVATE-EYE HERO. I have
> no idea what Parker's title was.

Bill, I didn't mean to dredge up "painful" memories ;-)

Okay, Sallis did mention Parker. Ross MacDonald came up in their remarks, too. I'm looking at my notes, trying to remember in what context the discussion point arose. IIRC, A fellow in the audience (not me) asked a question if detective fiction was read in colleges. Then RM's background was brought up by Tom Nolan (RM's biographer). It was a good panel. I can follow the Hammett to Chandler to RM influence. (I wonder who they'd now put after RM? That's a different panel, I guess.)

Ed

=====