RARA-AVIS: Neo-noir ?

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 27 Mar 2003

Some people fit noir fiction into a time frame that ends around 1960, and from there on becomes neo-noir or neon noir or whatever. Mario has mentioned this, and I think it's the subject of a Woody Haut book. I've read some of the older stuff and some newer and can't exactly put my finger on the difference. Do you see a significant difference? If yes, what is it?

A gut-level feeling would place Willeford's WILD WIVES, even though it was 1956, in with Woodrell's GIVE US A KISS, but would class Ellroy's BLACK DAHLIA among the older. Like I said, this is just a gut-level feeling. I can't really explain the difference, except that maybe that fate seems to be playing a bigger joke on the protagonist in the neo-noir. But that doesn't hold a lot of water. That sorta ironic humor is in the old stuff, too.

Thanks, miker