Re: RARA-AVIS: COUNT TO CADENCE

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 22 Mar 2003

On 22 March 2003, Bill Bowers wrote:

: All that aside, yes, I quite agree: THE LAST GOOD KISS is Crumley's tour
: de force, and anyone who wants to maintain any hard-boiled cred at all
: ... should read it!

I finished it, and I agree. Most people on the list will recognize the elements of the plot and where the characters fall, but that's no strike against it. It's beautifully written and everyone's very real. And, being of the 1970s, it's got a messy, dirty, feeling, where everything's going to hell, post-Vietnam, post-summer of love, post-Watergate. I felt kind of dirty when I finished it. I don't know what I'd do if I ever met C.W. Sughrue.

Bill