RARA-AVIS: RE: Keach and Hemingway

From: Dick Lochte ( dlochte@adelphia.net)
Date: 22 Mar 2003

It's been mentioned that Stacy Keach's reading of Hemingway's original story is on the new "The Killers" DVD. It's also on audiotape. S&S has issued three volumes of Keach reading Hemingway shorts. Vol. 3 completes the author's "First 49." The actor's delivery is extraordinary. Timing, accents, shifts in character. It's been years since I'd read any Hemingway. This is definitely the way to get reacquainted. And you can do it on a treadmill.

Speaking of the newer "The Killers," how about Lee Marvin's last scene? There was a hardboiled guy. I was at a party years ago for an awful movie called "The Klansman" and wound up at the bar next to Marvin. I noticed that the left arm of his sport jacket had ripped loose at the shoulder. I mentioned it to him. He glared at me with bloodshot eyes, looked at the rip, nodded and yanked on the right arm and ripped that one, too. "Better?" he asked. I wasn't about to disagree.

Dick Lochte