Re: RARA-AVIS: The Killers

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 21 Mar 2003

miker:

"It was me. Thanks for the heads up on The Killers. I've never seen it. It sounds excellent."

Make that "they" sound excellent. Although the second version goes even farther afield than the first from the source material, focusing more on the killers than the target, it's still a pretty great film. And it features Ronald Reagan as a bad guy (insert gratuitous liberal comment here).

I must admit I'm also intrigued by the student film version by Tarkovsky, especially by the fact that it doesn't require a whole disc of its own.

"By the way, have you ever seen the movie of Hemingway's life?"

No, but I did see Alan Rudolph's The Moderns which features him as a supporting character. It's set during the Paris years and pokes vicious fun at him. (By the way, the film is great, though neither hardboiled nor noir.)

Mark