RARA-AVIS: Re: Australian hardboiled

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 20 Mar 2003

Yep, I'd have to toss in my two cents here. The Cliff Hardy series by Peter Corris, set in Sydney, are simply one of the great current P.I. series, featuring good ol' pulp-style action, fresh settings and enough lean, tight writing to wash out that lukewarm, fatty taste left behind by so many of his overly-praised and overly self-conscious (Hey, look at me, ma, I'm writing!) American contemporaries.

And the one film I know of based on the series, THE EMPTY BEACH, is a fine P.I. flick well worth tracking down -- nothing astounding, perhaps-- but good solid fare with Bryan Brown well cast as Hardy.

Which makes it all the more of a shame that the books, at least in paperback, are now so damn hard to find in North America.