Re: RARA-AVIS: Australian hardboiled ?

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 19 Mar 2003

> Garry Disher (somehow gone unmentioned so far) writes a series
featuring an
> Australian Parker called Wyatt. Disher has also written a stack of
kids
> books and at least one police procedural, which I enjoyed. I've read
> couple of the Wyatts and (sorry, Rene) I liked them, too.
>
> Al

I completely forgot about Disher. I actually do like the Disher books I've read (about 3 of them so far) it's just that I have a problem with them being a little too closely modelled on the (American) Parker books. I know Al that you're referring to my posting here some time ago where I was carping about a mention of the substance known as angel dust. Although very well known in the US it is completely unknown here - an Aussie (like me) who knows what it is only knows about it from US sources: TV, movies, books. It's just sloppy research & detracts from that necessary suspension of disbelief. People outside Australia aren't likely to notice anything but I suspect I'm not the only local reader who was scratching his head and saying "angel dust?" I admit I'm probably over-reacting to a minor error but it really intruded into my consciousness.
 Some folks here have similar reactions when they read about a professional hard guy who apparently doesn't understand how his own gun works but it doesn't worry me because I don't know from guns, but this sort of thing is a bit of a pet peeve of mine, like when I turn on the TV & there's an Aussie cop show where the cops use language obviously drawn from US cop shows. (I mean, nobody in Australia has "hunches", let alone are there cops who proceed on the basis of said hunches. Personally, I'm not too sure that the "hunch" is a vital part of American police work but no doubt Jim D. will correct me here if I'm wrong). Imagine watching The Bill & one of the detectives starts speaking like Sipowicz from NYPD Blue. "Being as how you were less than forthcoming
(I was pleased to note no such "geoclasms", if you'll excuse my inventing a new word, in the last Wyatt book I read).

Rene