RARA-AVIS: Crumley: THE WRONG CASE

From: Graham Powell ( bleekerbooks@hotmail.com)
Date: 19 Mar 2003

Most people seem to prefer Crumley's THE LAST GOOD KISS, but I like THE WRONG CASE better. Published in 1975, it tells the story of small-town private eye Milton "Milo" Milodragovich. A confirmed drunkard who's mainly passing the time until he gets his inheritance, Milo agrees to look for a beautiful woman's missing brother. Complications ensue when an old drinking buddy tries to help and winds up dead.

I could go on about the plot, but like KISS, this novel is more concerned with character. Milo is driven to find out who killed his friend, an older man who he sees at his father, and who in fact wear's Milo's actual father's overcoat, purchased secondhand. The plot of the book is Milo's hunt for the literal killer of his figurative father, while what's really going on is Milo's hunt for the figurative killer of his actual father.

A really good book. I highly recommend it.

Graham
--------- http://www.BleekerBooks.com

_________________________________________________________________ Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail