Re: RARA-AVIS: Daly & McGivern

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Mar 2003

Richard,

Re your comment below:

> [Maureen] Daly also, as I recall, edited a mystery
> anthology
> the paperback of which I
> see all the time in used bookstores.

I think the book you're recalling might be called MY FAVORITE MYSTERY STORIES. It includes, among other things, Howard Browne's only Paul Pine short story,
"So Dark for April."

It also included a Thomas Walsh short cop story. The intro Ms. Daly wrote for the Walsh story is one of my favorite anecdotes about a writer. Ms. Daly had occasion to visit an NYPD police precinct. The desk sergeant happened to be reading a copy of the latest SATURDAY EVENING POST as she entered. The sergeant stopped reading for a second, turned to one of the other officers and said, "By GOD, this guy knows how to write about cops!" He turned out to be reading a Thomas Walsh cop story. Probably the best endorsement a police procedural writer ever got.

And all this talk about McGiverns, Dalys, and Walshes reminds me: Happy St. Patrick's Day! May you all live as long as you want and never want as long as you live!

JIM DOHERTY